2014 Annual Meeting Minutes

by TimSmith 3. February 2015 02:16

Timberline Ridge Homeowners Association

Annual Meeting Minutes

December 7, 2014

Blackwell Elementary School

 

The Annual Meeting was called to order by Board President Ted Leland at 7:04pm. HOA membership was represented by 25 people in attendance and 25 proxies received.

 

President’s Report – 2014 Highlights

President Ted Leland provided a welcome and overview of HOA news and highlights from the past year.  Key items include:

  • A very successful first year with landscaping firm Northwest Landscaping Services (NLS), which has provided excellent service in keeping TRHOA grounds maintained.  The contract will be extended for 2015.

  • Recent windstorm damage to several trees will require removal and related costs in early 2015.

  • Damaged playground swing in north park was replaced under warranty but incurred installation expenses of $500.

  • A recent incident involving a non-resident who slipped on ice and broke her wrist has been notified to the HOA insurance company. Information is still being gathered to determine if there will be a claim.

  • Vandalism remains low and mostly the result of teenager pranks.

  • An issue regarding alleged drainage down the slope behind houses on 204th Lane NE has been raised again by a homeowner at the bottom of the hill.  TRHOA maintains that this is an issue to be reconciled between City of Sammamish and Burnstead (Timberline Ridge developer) but will continue monitoring the situation.

  • Changes to the Board:  Allen Derheim is stepping down as Treasurer; Nita Cherry has volunteered to assume this role.

The president also noted the following reminders for TRHOA members:

  • Include a current email address when sending your 2015 dues payment. The board is trying to collect email addresses for all homeowners to facilitate HOA communications and reduce mailing cost.
  • Bylaws and other HOA information are available online at http://timberlineridge.org
  • Suggestions for landscape improvements should be sent to Landscape Committee Chair Gene Craig at ecraig1@aol.com.

 

Presentation of 2014 Budget

Treasurer Allen Derheim presented financial statements and an overview of year-to-date financials.  Key items:

  • Of the 200 TRHOA homeowners, two remain delinquent on 2013 dues and three are delinquent on 2014 dues.  This is despite repeated invoices and reminders. The board is considering contracting with a collections agency to turn over delinquent accounts.

  • Major expenses during the year were as anticipated, with landscape and maintenance accounting for about 75% of the annual budget as usual.

  • TRHOA is tracking to end 2014 $4,000 under budget.

  • Reserves continue to be carried over for recurring and unanticipated costs, including General Reserve ($45k), Playground ($17.5k) and other

  • TRHOA remains in sound financial condition with no major deviations from the planned annual budget.

  • Annual dues TO remain unchanged for 2015 ($525)

Landscape Committee Report

Landscape chair Gene Craig provided an update on landscape maintenance issues during 2014.

  • Largest accomplishment of the year was hiring NLS as the new lawn service; they have the equipment and staff needed to provide excellent service to TRHOA.

  • Installation of computer-controlled sprinkler systems will help manage rising water rates by replacing manually-operated timer with remote control system and weather monitoring software. TRHOA water costs during 2014 were about XXS.  The anticipated savings with the new system is 25% per year, and TRHOA received a rebate of $2.4k on the total equipment cost of $6.5k. 

  • TRHOA covered the costs of lawn maintenance at Blackwell Elementary School during the summer recess to ensure uniform landscape appearance in the community.

  • New LED lights were installed in the monuments and Timberline Ridge entry to provide brighter lighting and address problems with frequent bulb outages.

  • New basketball and tennis nets were installed.

  • Monuments and tennis court were pressure-washed.

  • Remaining Blue Spruces in Circle Park that were encroaching on street and sidewalk were removed and heather will be installed in spring.

  • All park benches and tables were restained.

  • Eradication of blackberry brambles along trails was completed.

  • Started elimination of nuisance alders and ivy along trails.

  • A contractor was retained to install seasonal holiday lights, providing better and more uniform lighting.

  • Elevated sidewalk edges were ground down by the City.

Appreciation was expressed for the time, energy and outstanding efforts of the volunteers working on Landscape Committee to keep the Timberline Ridge community well-maintained and attractive:  Gene Craig (chair), Amy and Andy Alcorn, Terri and Greg Gilbert, and Kari and Jeff Sand.

It was noted that the TRHOA Facebook community now has more than 120 members and continues to provide updates and serve as a valuable information resource for the community.

Architectural Control Committee

Ted Leland presented the Committee’s report on behalf of Emily Leland.

  • Residents are reminded to read the TRHOA bylaws. To help maintain the appearance of the community, house painting colors and major structural or landscaping projects require prior approval of the Architectural Control Committee.

  • Be a good neighbor.  Please show courtesy by checking with immediate neighbors prior to major projects and keep contractor hours to reasonable morning start and evening finish to minimize noise and disturbances.

Election of officers

  • Nita Cherry was nominated and voted in as Treasurer, replacing Allen Derheim.

  • The position of Board secretary remains vacant. Looking for a volunteer to take minutes, serve as representative on the board, help get dues notices out, maintain mailing lists, etc.  Any interested members contact Ted Leland. [NB: following the Annual Meeting Ed Hodapp expressed interest in serving in this capacity.]

Old business

  • Vehicle speed on 205th.  Several homeowners have raised concern over the speed of cars travelling along the street, particularly near Tennis Court Park. The Board has received information from the City regarding the official process for evaluating safety and traffic needs in neighborhoods. There was consensus by homeowners in attendance at the Annual Meeting that the least intrusive solution is preferable (e.g. no large speed bumps or curb extensions) but that TRHOA submit a formal request to the City to initiate the process of evaluating traffic on the street and exploring potential options to address speeding, which presents a safety hazard.

  • Dog waste. There continue to be homeowners who believe more action should be taken to control dog waste in the community. Suggestions offered by those in attendance at the Annual Meeting included installation of dog waste containers so there is a convenient place to dispose of waste during walks, and/or signs to encourage picking up after pets. Others questioned if this is a significant concern deserving attention by the Board compared with safety issues such as traffic, lighting and solicitors. After extensive discussion, the consensus of homeowners in attendance was that dog waste is an annoyance but not a major concern for the community and no further action is needed at present.

New Business

  • Street lights. A question was raised about installing additional lighting since some areas are poorly lit, particularly during the darker winter months. President Leland noted that the Board has checked with City and determined that light poles are inexpensive ($3k) and trenching to nearest connection is the major cost (approx. $10k).  It was noted that installing additional street lights would require special assessment and approval by 60% of voting membership. As an initial step, the Landscape Committee is exploring with PSE the possibility replacing bulbs or rotating arms as less-expensive options to improve lighting from existing poles.

  • Property upkeep.  A question was raised about requiring homeowners to keep their property maintained.  The president noted that bylaws require homeowners to maintain their properties and a reminder will be included in the upcoming president’s newsletter. If there are any specific concerns, homeowners should contact President Ted Leland, who if appropriate will reach out directly to the homeowner in question to request action.  Bylaws permit TRHOA to take action and bill the homeowner if action is not taken.

  • TRHOA directory.  Roland Fink has volunteered to compile a directory for TRHOA but needs homeowner contact information. Names and addresses are available but homeowners must give approval and provide phone number and/or other contact information for it to be included.

  • Delinquent dues.  TRHOA has seen an increase of late and outstanding dues from a small group of homeowners.  Dues notices go out each January and dues are to be paid by March 31.  Second reminders and other follow up have taken an increasing amount of time from the volunteer board and had limited impact. The board’s view is that these homeowners are aware of the dues requirement but for whatever reason are failing to comply with TRHOA obligations.  To address this issue, the Board is exploring contracting with a collections agency to handle delinquent dues after a second notice, with costs for collections charged to the delinquent homeowner. There was strong consensus by those in attendance at the Annual Meeting in favor of this approach.  The Board will push forward with this initiative.

 Adjourned at 8:38pm.

Tags:

2013 Annual Meeting Minutes

by TimSmith 9. January 2014 12:37

Timberline Ridge Homeowners Association

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 12, 2013

Blackwell Elementary School

 

HOA membership was represented by 12 people in attendance and 19 proxies received.

 

President Ted Leland provided a welcome and overview of HOA news and information for 2013:

  • 5 homeowners remain delinquent on 2013 annual dues (more than past years)
  • 14 new homeowners during 2013
  • Roland Fink has offered to compile phone book (last done in 2010)
  • Board monitoring ongoing community issues
    • Fire Station issue – Ted and Ned attended meeting.
    • NESSWD – city council investigating consolidating two water districts
  • Seeking Architectural Control Committee chair and committee members to oversee architectural issues 

Ted also provided the following reminders for homeowners:

 

  • Please include a current email address when making 2014 dues payment – the board is trying to collect email addresses for all homeowners to facilitate HOA communications and reduce mailing cost
  • Bylaws and other HOA information are available online at http://timberlineridge.org
  • Any suggestions for landscape improvements should be sent to Gene Craig, Landscape Committee chair at ecraig1@aol.com

 

Review of 2013 expenses and financial statements

 

Treasurer Allen Derheim presented the current expenses and financial statements.  Key items:

 

  • Dues were collected from 195 of the 200 properties in the Association.  Liens have been placed on one property with dues outstanding; the remainder are in arrears with action to be taken if additional collection efforts are not successful by early 2014.
  • 2013 expenses are in line with budget, including the following notable items:
  • Maintenance over by about $1,600 due to taxes

  • Color over by $1,000 due to change of vendors at the beginning of year

  • Water continues to be a major expense, with rate increases and a drier/hotter summer contributing to an additional $4,000 above budget, but slightly down from last year due to improved maintenance.

  • Cost savings resulted from deferring thatching and lime service.

  • The Association remains in sound financial condition with no major deviations from the annual budget other than those described above.

  • Annual dues to remain unchanged for 2014 ($525)

 

Landscape Committee Report

 

Landscape chair Gene Craig provided an update on landscape maintenance issues during 2013.

 

  • The Association contracted with Total for landscape maintenance during 2013, following a change at the end of the previous year. Overall assessment is that while much of the work has been done well (mowing, edging, blowing, etc.) the contractor lacked expertise in important areas such as sprinkler system maintenance and does not have the crew or equipment required for effective performance of all. Therefore, in 2014 the Association will move the contract to Northwest Lawn Service (NLS).
  • Barking completed
  • Trails - blackberry brambles were eradicated and eradication of ivy is underway. 
  • North Park –
    • new caps ordered to replace those stolen from monuments in 2012 and fixed missing panels. 
    • Installed Volleyball net
    • Removed stick shrubs
  • Circle Park
    • Trimmed rhododendrons and other plantings to provide better sunlight, installed bench
  • Tennis Court Park
    • Treated blackberries and ivy
    • Removed damaged and dead trees   
  • Items that are in progress are under review by Association board:
  • Irrigation - repairs made to the system in an effort to reduce water waste and cost.  Installation of a computer-controlled system remains under discussion in terms of cost and operation.
  • Trails – there is an increasing problem with the dumping of branches, leaves and other debris along the trails. The HOA paid over $1,000 to remove debris dumped along the North Trail alone in January 2013. Dumping is prohibited along the trails; any homeowners who placed debris in the area are asked to remove it
  • Trees - still too many, and growing too big. The new landscape has an arborist who will make an assessment and offer recommendations  in early 2014.
  • Sidewalks – some patching has been done to fix areas where tree roots have lifted concrete but more work is needed.  Checking with the City on options
  • Monuments - All light fixtures replaced in last year but some electrical work remains. Greg Gilbert will assess needs and advise Ted so an electrician can be scheduled. Looking for price-effective solution to replace additional missing monument caps (entry monuments, Wisteria and Magnolia); best option appears to be galvanized, colored steel with a cost of approx. $4-5k. Christmas decorations planned

The President and those present expressed appreciation to Gene and the Landscape committee for all of their ongoing and attentive efforts that have been instrumental in keeping the neighborhood attractive. 

 

Architectural Control Committee report

 

No report presented.  The Board continues to monitor individual properties to ensure compliance with HOA requirements. A new chair is being sought for the Committee.

 

  

Election of Officers

 

  • President - Ted Leland was nominated and reelected to the Board
  • Secretary – seeking nominations

 Other Business

 

  • Penalties for late payment of HOA dues – given concerns with the number of homeowners dues late, a motion was made and passed to amend the bylaws to raise the late payment penalty from 12% per annum to $25/month for annual dues not paid by March 31 of the year for which they are due. It was also noted that a list of delinquent dues would be published if not paid by the March 31 deadline.
  • Additional street lighting on 205th – some homeowners have expressed concern about children walking to school in the Winter months when it is dark in the morning and early evening. Ted investigated costs for installation of additional light poles and expects this to be about $2.5k for each if no trenching is required; trenching may incur an additional cost of $10k each. The Board is exploring options for installation of up to 3 additional lights along 205th. One homeowner noted that homeowners living near areas where lamps would be installed might have concerns due to environmental impact of additional light. The Board will check with impacted residences, check to see if tree trimming might help with lighting along darker stretches, and also evaluate if improvements to the sprinkler system are a higher priority for homeowners, consulting with HOA members prior to any decision.
  • Vehicle speed on 205th – some homeowners have raised concern over the speed of cars travelling along the street, particularly coming downhill towards Tennis Court Park. The Board has received information from the City regarding the official process for evaluating safety and traffic needs in neighborhoods. The Board will send a letter to City to formally request that it review the situation.
  • Dog waste – this is a problem that continues to concern some homeowners. Some homeowners propose the installation of signs and/or doggie waste stations, while others are concerned that signs calling problem to notice will detract from the neighborhood and even impact property values. There was consensus during discussion of the issue at the meeting that most of the people know what they’re doing so signs are unlikely to help and not desired. One proposal was to move the trash can in Tennis Court Park closer to street and/or install dog waste bins. The Board agreed to explore the effectiveness of other neighborhoods that have installed dog waste bins/bags prior to making a decision.
  • Irrigation automation – the question of automating the HOA irrigation system was raised. The Board has explored this in the past and has received estimates for installation in the range of $17k-$30k. It was further noted that someone (a homeowner, presumably) would need to be willing and available to manage the system on a constant basis. Since the current system can be set for duration and has good control boxes, an alternative to consider if the goal is to reduce water cost would be to set the system to water less often during summer. Ted will discuss options with the new landscape contractor (NLS).
  • Playground – a homeowner noted that the spring for the blue motorcycle play installation had broken again. The cost to replace is about $200. As the spring tends to break about every 3 years (likely due to abuse by teenagers and others), the Board will evaluate whether there is a different piece of playground equipment that is a better alternative.

Adjourn

 

 

Timberline Ridge HOA_Annual Meeting Minutes_2013.doc (44.00 kb)

2014_Dues_Statement.docx (15.54 kb)

Tags:

Notice: 13th Annual Meeting of Timberline Ridge HOA - Nov 12, 2013

by TimSmith 31. October 2013 10:09

Timberline Ridge HOA

2013 Annual Meeting Notification

 

 

The 13th Annual Meeting of the Timberline Ridge Home Owner’s Association will be held on Tuesday, November 12th at Blackwell Elementary School from 7 to 9 PM.  The meeting will be held in the school library.

 

The meeting agenda will include:

 

a.)    Financial Report covering 2013 projecting expenses to the end of the year.

b.)    Report of the Landscape Committee.  Landscaping accounts for 85% of HOA expenses.

c.)    Presentation of the 2014 Budget.  Of interest will be the expenditure of some portion of the reserve funds for various projects.

d.)   Plea for volunteers.

e.)    Selection of a new board member.  Ted Leland’s term expires this year and while willing to serve another term, his spot can be contended.  We are also opening a fourth position and hope there is interest.  Those interested in board positions must be present at the meeting.

f.)     New business

g.)    Adjournment

 

The successful management of our HOA depends upon the willingness of the residents to get involved.  Last year, our meeting attracted just one couple, newly moved in.  We did receive sufficient proxies to conduct the business of the association but the board puts an effort into managing HOA affairs and would appreciate feedback obtained during these meetings.

 

I would ask all members to send me their email addresses as we will periodically send out a newsletter advising you of any items of interest. 

 

We realize that not everyone can attend.  For this reason, proxies are included with this notification.  If you cannot attend, please complete the form and mail it to the addresses at the bottom of the proxy.

 

We hope to see you in November.

 

Ted

tedle@aol.com

Tags:

2012 Annual Meeting Minutes

by TimSmith 26. May 2013 01:58

 

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 13, 2012 7:00pm

Blackwell Elementary School

 

HOA membership was represented by 12 people in attendance and 20 proxies received.

 

President Ted Leland provided a welcome and introduction including the following highlights from 2012:

 

·     Reports of vandalism have been limited;

·      Successful neighborhood watch and emergency disaster preparedness meeting organized by Lisa Kreissler, with street captains have been identified to organized local efforts;

·     After 7 months of discussion with Comcast and pricing evaluation of $2k/home this option appears constrained by cost, at least for now;

·     Biannual evaluation of trees by arborist led to identification and removal of 17 trees as hazards (homeowners should continue to notify HOA board of any concerns with landscaping or trees);

·     Neighbors down the slope behind 204th Lane and Terrace contacted the HOA to express concern regarding erosion; issue continues to be handled by Burnstead and the City of Sammamish;

·     Investigation of additional street lights along 205th led to comment from City that it is not responsible and estimated cost for 3 additional lights of approx. $25k that would need to be paid by HOA, likely requiring special assessment if a decision is made to proceed.

Review of 2012 expenses and financial statements

 

Treasurer Mike Powers presented the near final 2012 expenses and financial statements. Financial statements were distributed via US mail to all homeowners along with notice of the annual meeting. Key items:

 

·     Dues were collected from 199 of the 200 properties in the association. A lien has been placed on the final property.

 

·     Expenditures are projected at $85k, with about 84% spent for landscaping and water, 5% for insurance, 5% for electric and utilities, 5% for repairs/maintenance and 1% for other items (mailing and incidentals).

 

·     Water bill was $3k more than projected this year due to dry summer and likely overuse of sprinklers.

·     Balance sheet reserves at the end of the year are projected to be $82k for recurring costs in coming years (e.g., playground, tennis court, bark, etc.).

·     The Association remains in sound financial condition with no major deviations from the yearly budget other than those described above. 

Landscaping Committee Report

Landscape chairman Gene Craig provided an update on landscape issues during 2012.  Key items:

 

·     Improvements to neighborhood landscaping to the year included new wood installed on benches and table in tennis court part, fence repairs, mail boxes cleaned and blackberry bushes cleared along trail.

·     A temporary contract for fall monument color was secured at 50% of the previous cost.

·     Holiday decorations to be installed on monuments, again led by Gilberts.

·     The Board has issued a new contract for landscape services in 2013.  Bids will be received and reviewed by the Board in December.

·     Anticipated landscaping needs for 2013 include applying bark and cut back trees along trails;

·     Appreciation expressed for continued contributions of the Gilberts and Alcorns on the Landscape committee.

2013 Financial Forecast

Treasurer Mike Powers provided an overview of the budget for 2013, including projected revenue and expenses, and the budget was approved by attendees.  Landscaping and maintenance will continue to comprise the majority of the budget. 

·      Projected revenue for 2013 is $89,500, reflecting dues payments of $450 by 199 of 200 homeowners. (As noted above, one home is in foreclosure and a lien has been attached for past dues.)

·     Projected expenses for 2013 are $100,800 based on estimates for landscaping and maintenance, including non-annual items.

·     Non-annual expenses planned for the coming year include barking (done every other year) and irrigation repairs (including possibility of remote-control system to ensure more efficient use of water).

·     For the second year in a row, the budget indicates a reserves deficit. For 2013 this would mean a shortfall of approximately $11,000 of planned contributions to the regular association reserve accounts (e.g., bark, playground equipment, irrigation system maintenance, tennis court maintenance and mailbox replacements).

·     One homeowner asked if a consultant had advised on the level of reserves that should be held. After discussion it was decided that the reserves had been established by past practice and likely were reasonably accurate, and that the additional cost for such an audit was not necessary.

After much discussion about the need for a dues increase, including that there had been no increase since 2004, a motion was made and carried to increase dues by $75 as of January 1, 2013.

Architectural and Control Committee Report

No report presented.  Several homes have been repainted during the year.  The Board has reached out direction to individual owners on issues relating to landscaping and other property upkeep.

Election of New Board Member

Alan Derheim was nominated and elected as treasurer, replacing Mike Powers.  The president thanked Mike for his three years of excellent service to the Board.

Other business

·     New Facebook group.  Teri Gilbert created a closed group on Facebook for Timberline Ridge homeowners. Already more than 50 homeowners are on the site, which is a great way to keep in touch and share news and information. Anyone interested in joining should search “Timberline Ridge Homeowners” on Facebook and request access.

·     Replacing missing monument tops.  Several copper monument tops were stolen in late 2011 and need to be replaced.  The Board has contacted 4 firms but none has been responsive. Options currently being explored are to replace all tops with non-copper metal or stone.  Cost estimate $5k with non-copper alternative.

·     Overhanging tree branches. A homeowner expressed concern that branches from some trees in front yards are overhanging streets and sidewalks. It was noted that homeowners are supposed to keep all overhanging branches trimmed to 10’ above sidewalks.

·     Dog Poop. The problem of dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs continues to be an issue of concern for many homeowners. A number of suggestions have been made, including the installation of garbage cans along 205th; however most of those present were of the opinion that additional receptacles are unlikely to resolve the problem. The Board will continue to monitor the situation and explore options.

Adjourn

Tags:

2011 Annual Meeting Minutes

by greggra 22. March 2012 07:19

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 8, 2011   7:00pm

Blackwell Elementary School

 

7 people were present at this meeting; plus numerous proxies represented

 

President Ted Leland provided a welcome and an introduction to the meeting.

 

1.      Reviewed the 2011 expenses and financial statements.

Treasurer Mike Powers presented the near final 2011 expenses and financial statements.  Mike discussed our major recurring expenses in the area of landscaping, water and electricity, as well as some nonrecurring expenses incurred during the year.

·         Dues were collected from 199 of the 200 properties in the association.  A lien has been placed on the final property for collection.

·         60% of the 2011 budget was dedicated to landscaping services, more than half of that to regular weekly maintenance.  Total landscape spending in 2011 was over $10K in excess of the standard amount (and $2K over budget) due to nonrecurring tree planting/replacement and bark mulch application costs. 

·         A large landscaping and irrigation project was completed near the storm water retention pond at NE 30th Ct (Laurel Ct).  This completes the HOA’s two year effort to obscure the 3 storm water retention ponds in our community with trees and shrubs.

·         The association entered into a new agreement this year for maintenance of the 8 neighborhood monuments, involving new shrubs, more abundant plantings and more frequent color changes.  Transition work began in 2011 and will continue in 2012.

·         A large tennis court resurfacing project was completed satisfactorily in 2011.  This project was $2K over budget due to unanticipated water damage repairs and the installation of additional drains along the perimeter of the court to protect the investment.

·         Spending on water was $2k under budget in 2011, due to the wetter summer.

·         In total, the association spent $10K more than it collected in 2011.  This difference was funded by the association’s reserve accounts for tennis court maintenance, mailbox maintenance and general reserves.

Our Association remains in solid financial shape with no major deviations from the yearly budget other than those described above.  Further, the Association has in general reserve an amount equivalent to one half year’s annual dues, with additional reserves for the tennis courts, playgrounds, mailboxes and irrigation.

 

2.      Approved the budget proposed for 2012.

Mike Powers presented the proposed budget for 2012 and it was approved by the attendees.

 

The following items were discussed in connection to the 2012 budget:

-          New Monument Contract.  As mentioned above, the association entered into a new agreement for maintenance of the neighborhood monuments.

-          Bark Application.  None scheduled for 2012 – a significant savings compared to 2011 spending.

-          Tennis Court.  Maintenance and resurfacing is currently on a 5 year schedule; none scheduled for 2012.  Another significant savings on the budget when compared to 2011.

-          Tree Planting.  With the conclusion of the Laurel Ct. project, no major tree planting projects are currently planned for 2012.  Money is set aside for regular tree removal and storm cleanup. 

-          Reserves surplus.  In total, the 2012 budget calls for $73K in spending.  This allows for contributions to the regular association reserve accounts and for some flexibility with unanticipated expenses during the year.

 

-          Dangerous Trees.  All homeowners are encouraged to inspect the trees near their houses, identify potential problems and inform the Board.  The Board is easily contacted via email at Board@timberlineridge.org

 

-          Christmas Lights.  These were purchased last year and will be distributed again by the Gilbert family.  Replacement lights will be reimbursed by the Association.  Thanks again to the Gilberts for organizing this activity and to the many volunteers who make it happen.

 

3.      Presented the Architectural Control Committee report.

Craig Hally presented the ACC report.  As committee chairperson, Craig reinforced the HOA requirement to seek approval on exterior house projects, specifically those in full view of nearby neighbors, such as house painting or significant landscaping alterations.

In 2011, Craig presided over and approved 12 house painting projects and 1 other project.  No issues were reported in working with homeowners.

This was the end of Craig’s 3 year term as ACC chairperson and we thank him for his time and efforts.  The board is actively looking for a new ACC chair.  Please contact Ted Leland with any interest.

 

4.      Presented the Landscape Committee report.

Dean Weinmeister presented the Landscape Committee report.  As mentioned in the budget review, 2011 saw a few nonrecurring expenses – new landscaping and irrigation in front of the storm water retention pond in Laurel Ct, a full bark application, and the transition to a new monument maintenance contract.

The new monument maintenance contract was entered into out of a shared desired by the Board and the membership to have more attractive landscaping at the monuments – more plants, more seasonal color.  Our regular landscaper simply did not do a good enough job on the monuments.  Dean led the entire proposal process and evaluated 3 alternatives.  The Board chose Greg’s Gardening for this contract.  Some initial transition work was done in 2011 – including landscape, irrigation and electrical improvements.  We look ahead optimistically to a great 2012 in this area.

Our regular lawn contractor – A to Z – has now completed year 2 of our 3 year contract.  While 2010 presented a real learning curve for A to Z, the Board is happy with the current level of maintenance.

In 2012, Dean and the board will investigate the need for a special tree maintenance contract for the care of the large trees in the neighborhood.  More on this to come.  We also look ahead to planting more flowering trees on 205th in 2012.  Thank you Dean.

 

5.      Elected one officer for the Board of Directors. 

No volunteers came forward for the now open Board position, replacing Greg Graceffo.  This position will be filled as quickly as possible in 2012.

 

6.      Discussed Old & New Business.

Dog Poop.  The problem of dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs was discussed.  It remains a problem in the neighborhood.  The Board sent a letter on the issue to the membership this year, and we may have seen some improvement in the situation as a result. 

 

We will note here that it is every dog walkers’ responsibility to pick up after their own dog, as dictated not only by Association by-laws, but by common decency itself.  If you see someone not acting responsibly, speak up.

 

Street Lights on 205th.  Ted Leland is in contact with the Sammamish city engineer regarding the number of street lights on 205th Pl, the main thoroughfare through the neighborhood.  We would like a survey conducted to see if more lights are required and available for installation.

 

Trail Maintenance. A small portion of the wood the resulted from the removal of trees in the greenbelt was left on the side of the neighborhood trail.  The bulk was hauled away.  This was a deliberate decision to reduce costs, but complaints have been raised about this appearing untidy, being a magnet for litter, or being generally unsafe.  Ted will revisit the wood pile and the Board will meet subsequently to decide if additional money should be spent to haul this wood away.

 

Mailbox Clutter.  It was noted that the neighborhood mailboxes often accumulate some amount of junk or clutter.  The association does have rules against the posting of notices/solicitations on the mailboxes, but none on the supply of public mail and newsletters.  It was agreed that the best approach is for homeowners themselves to periodically remove unwanted mailbox clutter for recycling, as many already do.

2012 TR HOA Budget.xls (47.00 kb)

Tags:

2011 Annual Meeting Minutes

by greggra 22. March 2012 07:14

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 8, 2011   7:00pm

Blackwell Elementary School

 

7 people were present at this meeting; plus numerous proxies represented

 

President Ted Leland provided a welcome and an introduction to the meeting.

 

1.      Reviewed the 2011 expenses and financial statements.

Treasurer Mike Powers presented the near final 2011 expenses and financial statements.  Mike discussed our major recurring expenses in the area of landscaping, water and electricity, as well as some nonrecurring expenses incurred during the year.

·         Dues were collected from 199 of the 200 properties in the association.  A lien has been placed on the final property for collection.

·         60% of the 2011 budget was dedicated to landscaping services, more than half of that to regular weekly maintenance.  Total landscape spending in 2011 was over $10K in excess of the standard amount (and $2K over budget) due to nonrecurring tree planting/replacement and bark mulch application costs. 

·         A large landscaping and irrigation project was completed near the storm water retention pond at NE 30th Ct (Laurel Ct).  This completes the HOA’s two year effort to obscure the 3 storm water retention ponds in our community with trees and shrubs.

·         The association entered into a new agreement this year for maintenance of the 8 neighborhood monuments, involving new shrubs, more abundant plantings and more frequent color changes.  Transition work began in 2011 and will continue in 2012.

·         A large tennis court resurfacing project was completed satisfactorily in 2011.  This project was $2K over budget due to unanticipated water damage repairs and the installation of additional drains along the perimeter of the court to protect the investment.

·         Spending on water was $2k under budget in 2011, due to the wetter summer.

·         In total, the association spent $10K more than it collected in 2011.  This difference was funded by the association’s reserve accounts for tennis court maintenance, mailbox maintenance and general reserves.

Our Association remains in solid financial shape with no major deviations from the yearly budget other than those described above.  Further, the Association has in general reserve an amount equivalent to one half year’s annual dues, with additional reserves for the tennis courts, playgrounds, mailboxes and irrigation.

 

2.      Approved the budget proposed for 2012.

Mike Powers presented the proposed budget for 2012 and it was approved by the attendees.

 

The following items were discussed in connection to the 2012 budget:

-          New Monument Contract.  As mentioned above, the association entered into a new agreement for maintenance of the neighborhood monuments.

-          Bark Application.  None scheduled for 2012 – a significant savings compared to 2011 spending.

-          Tennis Court.  Maintenance and resurfacing is currently on a 5 year schedule; none scheduled for 2012.  Another significant savings on the budget when compared to 2011.

-          Tree Planting.  With the conclusion of the Laurel Ct. project, no major tree planting projects are currently planned for 2012.  Money is set aside for regular tree removal and storm cleanup. 

-          Reserves surplus.  In total, the 2012 budget calls for $73K in spending.  This allows for contributions to the regular association reserve accounts and for some flexibility with unanticipated expenses during the year.

 

-          Dangerous Trees.  All homeowners are encouraged to inspect the trees near their houses, identify potential problems and inform the Board.  The Board is easily contacted via email at Board@timberlineridge.org

 

-          Christmas Lights.  These were purchased last year and will be distributed again by the Gilbert family.  Replacement lights will be reimbursed by the Association.  Thanks again to the Gilberts for organizing this activity and to the many volunteers who make it happen.

 

3.      Presented the Architectural Control Committee report.

Craig Hally presented the ACC report.  As committee chairperson, Craig reinforced the HOA requirement to seek approval on exterior house projects, specifically those in full view of nearby neighbors, such as house painting or significant landscaping alterations.

In 2011, Craig presided over and approved 12 house painting projects and 1 other project.  No issues were reported in working with homeowners.

This was the end of Craig’s 3 year term as ACC chairperson and we thank him for his time and efforts.  The board is actively looking for a new ACC chair.  Please contact Ted Leland with any interest.

 

4.      Presented the Landscape Committee report.

Dean Weinmeister presented the Landscape Committee report.  As mentioned in the budget review, 2011 saw a few nonrecurring expenses – new landscaping and irrigation in front of the storm water retention pond in Laurel Ct, a full bark application, and the transition to a new monument maintenance contract.

The new monument maintenance contract was entered into out of a shared desired by the Board and the membership to have more attractive landscaping at the monuments – more plants, more seasonal color.  Our regular landscaper simply did not do a good enough job on the monuments.  Dean led the entire proposal process and evaluated 3 alternatives.  The Board chose Greg’s Gardening for this contract.  Some initial transition work was done in 2011 – including landscape, irrigation and electrical improvements.  We look ahead optimistically to a great 2012 in this area.

Our regular lawn contractor – A to Z – has now completed year 2 of our 3 year contract.  While 2010 presented a real learning curve for A to Z, the Board is happy with the current level of maintenance.

In 2012, Dean and the board will investigate the need for a special tree maintenance contract for the care of the large trees in the neighborhood.  More on this to come.  We also look ahead to planting more flowering trees on 205th in 2012.  Thank you Dean.

 

5.      Elected one officer for the Board of Directors. 

No volunteers came forward for the now open Board position, replacing Greg Graceffo.  This position will be filled as quickly as possible in 2012.

 

6.      Discussed Old & New Business.

Dog Poop.  The problem of dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs was discussed.  It remains a problem in the neighborhood.  The Board sent a letter on the issue to the membership this year, and we may have seen some improvement in the situation as a result. 

 

We will note here that it is every dog walkers’ responsibility to pick up after their own dog, as dictated not only by Association by-laws, but by common decency itself.  If you see someone not acting responsibly, speak up.

 

Street Lights on 205th.  Ted Leland is in contact with the Sammamish city engineer regarding the number of street lights on 205th Pl, the main thoroughfare through the neighborhood.  We would like a survey conducted to see if more lights are required and available for installation.

 

Trail Maintenance. A small portion of the wood the resulted from the removal of trees in the greenbelt was left on the side of the neighborhood trail.  The bulk was hauled away.  This was a deliberate decision to reduce costs, but complaints have been raised about this appearing untidy, being a magnet for litter, or being generally unsafe.  Ted will revisit the wood pile and the Board will meet subsequently to decide if additional money should be spent to haul this wood away.

 

Mailbox Clutter.  It was noted that the neighborhood mailboxes often accumulate some amount of junk or clutter.  The association does have rules against the posting of notices/solicitations on the mailboxes, but none on the supply of public mail and newsletters.  It was agreed that the best approach is for homeowners themselves to periodically remove unwanted mailbox clutter for recycling, as many already do.

Tags:

2010 Annual Meeting Notes

by Mickpat 28. January 2011 06:13

Timberline Ridge Homeowners Association
www.timberlineridge.org
 
Annual Meeting Minutes
November 10, 2010   6:30pm
Blackwell Elementary School
 
15 people were present at this meeting; plus numerous proxies represented
 
1.      Reviewed the 2010 expenses and financial statements.


Treasurer Mike Powers presented the near final 2010 expenses and financial statements.  Mike discussed our major recurring expenses in the area of landscaping, water and electricity.  Our Association remains in solid financial shape with all 2010 dues collected and no major deviations from the yearly budget.  In addition, the Association has in general reserve an amount equivalent to one half year’s annual dues, with additional reserves for the tennis courts, playgrounds, mailboxes and irrigation. Mike also provided access to the Association audit report for the audit completed in early 2010 with the transition in the Treasurer position on the Board.
 
2.      Approved the budget proposed for 2011.


Mike Powers presented the proposed budget for 2010 and it was approved by the attendees.
 
The following items were discussed in connection to the 2011 budget:

  • Laurel Ct Pond.  The Board has budgeted for an extension of the irrigation system along the front of the Laurel Ct. storm water retention pond, along with tree planting to somewhat obscure the view of the pond.  This work will be undertaken in the spring.
  • Tennis Court.  The Board will determine if the tennis court needs power washing, repainting or full on resurfacing in the spring.  The cost for resurfacing was estimated at $4000, but the board will retain estimates.
  • Bark.  It was discussed and determined that the 2011 budget should include money for bark for the common area shrub beds.  This was not done during 2010 and we are on an every other year schedule.
  • Arborist.  It was suggested that the Board retain a professional arborist in 2011 to give an assessment of our current tree population, with an eye toward identifying trees that need to be removed or trimmed as well as to offer suggestions for additional plantings along 205th or elsewhere in the neighborhood.  The Board will take this up in 2011.
  • Dangerous Trees.  All homeowners are encouraged to inspect the trees near their houses, identify potential problems and inform the Board.  The Board is easily contacted via email at Board@timberlineridge.org
  • Christmas Lights.  These were purchased last year and will be distributed again by the Gilbert family.  Replacement lights will be reimbursed by the Association.  Thanks again to the Gilberts for organizing this activity and to the many volunteers who make it happen.

3. Presented the Architectural Committee report.


Craig Hally presented the ACC report.  As committee chairperson, Craig reinforced the HOA requirement to seek approval on exterior house projects, specifically those in full view of nearby neighbors, such as house painting or significant landscaping alterations. 
 
In 2010, Craig presided over and approved 9 house painting projects, 2 landscaping projects and 2 remodels/repairs.

 
4.      Presented the Landscape Committee report.
Michael Patten presented the Landscape Committee report.  During the year, Michael replaced Eric Nelson as the Landscape Committee chairperson.  The Board would like to thank Eric for his significant contributions to the neighborhood including the replacement of the Timberline Ridge park signs, fence repairs on 205th and tree stump removal.  Eric’s efforts were above and beyond the call of duty and the source of real savings for the Association at large.  Thank you Eric.
Michael recapped the year in landscaping which included a transition in landscaper from Brandywine to A to Z.  The Board worked with A to Z through the transition and catch-up time to deal with a few onboarding issues, and things are working well at present.


Two major pond projects were completed in 2010 along 204th Lane NE and 204th Terrace NE.  These projects involved an extension of the irrigation system along the roadway and additional plantings meant to obscure the storm water retention ponds.  A similar project will be undertaken in the Laurel Ct area this year.  A to Z will also be instructed to mow the area between the street and the pond/fence in Laurel Ct.


A range of dangerous trees were removed along our neighborhood trails and in the common areas this year, as is the case in most years.
Improvements in quantity of monument color plantings were discussed.  This will be raised with A to Z in 2011.  In addition, the monuments will be power washed in 2011.
Finally, a portion of the eroded asphalt trail in the south park was repaired and replaced with gravel and a new retaining wall. 
For 2011, the Board will also address the persistent drainage problem on the east side of 205th Pl between 27th Pl and 28th Ct.
Dean Weinmeister has volunteered for the role of Landscape Committee chairperson going forward.  Welcome back Dean.
 


 
5.      Elected one officer for the Board of Directors. 
Ted Leland was elected to the Board to serve a 3 year term to replace Michael Patten.  We welcome Ted back to the Board after a two year absence.  (In a subsequent Board meeting on 11/22/10 it was decided that Ted would serve as HOA President.  Again, welcome back Ted.)
 
The Board and the Association thank Michael Patten for his 4 years of excellent service to the neighborhood, the last two as HOA President.
 
6.      Discussed New Business.
Trail Usage.  Michael Patten presented the issue of various area kids building bike ramps on the neighborhood trails.  Multiple homeowners have come forth regarding this issue in the past two months.  Michael clarified that these trails are considered common ground in the neighborhood and any sort of construction, impediment-building, modification or damage is outside the acceptable use of the trails and should be suspended.
 
Dog Poop Issue.  Multiple homeowners raised the issue of dog walkers not cleaning up after their dogs.  Potential actions discussed included additional signage on the neighborhood trails and a system of temporary signs highlighting the offending ‘material’. 
 
We will note here that it is every dog walkers’ responsibility to pick up after their own dog, as dictated not only by Association by-laws, but by common decency itself.
 
 
HOA Board of Directors Contact Information
Board Email: Board@timberlineridge.org
 
 
Ted Leland
President
tedle@aol.com
425-836-4480 (h)
Mike Powers
Treasurer
mwpowers@cablespeed.com
425-898-9237 (h)
Greg Graceffo
Vice President / Secretary
greggra@microsoft.com
425-836-8302 (h)
Dean Weinmeister
Landscape Committee
wein59@msn.com
 
Craig Hally
Architectural Control Committee
craighally@hotmail.com
425-868-7374 (h)
 

Tags:

2009 Annunal Meeting Minutes

by Mickpat 14. January 2010 02:52

Timberline Ridge Homeowners Association

www.timberlineridge.org

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 17, 2009   7:00pm

Blackwell Elementary School

11 members and 9 proxies were represented at this meeting.

1.      Reviewed the 2009 expenses and financial statements.

Treasurer Ron Zanco presented the near final 2009 expenses and financial statements.  Our Association remains in solid financial shape with all 2009 dues collected and no major deviations from the yearly budget.

In addition, the Association has in general reserve an amount equivalent to one half year’s annual dues, with additional reserves for the tennis courts, playgrounds and irrigation.

2.      Approved a financial records audit for 2010. 

With the end of Ron Zanco’s term as HOA Treasurer and the election of Mike Powers to this role, the attendees approved the motion for a financial records audit.  This audit will be undertaken in 2010.

3.      Approved the budget proposed for 2010.  (See attachment budget report.)

Ron Zanco presented the proposed budget for 2010 and it was approved by the attendees.

The timing for the next tennis court resurfacing was discussed.  The Board will investigate the cost for this work and evaluate timing and budgeting options for its completion.

4.      Presented the Architectural Control Committee report.

Craig Hally presented the ACC report.  As committee chairperson, Craig reinforced the HOA requirement to seek approval on exterior house projects, specifically those in full view of nearby neighbors, such as house painting or significant landscaping alterations. 

In 2009, Craig presided over and approved 1 structural request and 1 landscape project.  He also managed requests, approvals and complaints from a set of house painting projects in the neighborhood.

In 2010, Craig would like to collect and make available a standard palette of colors that would help members make decisions on acceptable exterior paint colors.  In addition, Craig would like to begin the collection of a set of recommended home repair vendors for paint, windows, etc. 

The Architectural Control Committee needs additional volunteers to help with these activities.  Please contact Craig Hally for more information.

5.      Presented the Landscape Committee report.

Eric Nelson presented the Landscape Committee report.  As committee chairperson, Eric’s main responsibility is overseeing the work of Brandywine, our current landscape contractor.  In addition, throughout the year, Eric has also completed a range of maintenance projects directly, including fence repair, tree disposal, playground equipment replacement, monument repair, and sprinkler head replacement.

Eric detailed our current list of issues with our landscaping contractor, which includes insufficiently detailed billing, pre-billing for work not performed, over-billing, a lack of responsiveness to our inquiries and concerns, and general work quality.

Our current landscaping contract is up in March 2010.  Eric and the Board will evaluate our current provider and strongly consider either a full replacement or the limiting of Brandywine to regular maintenance only (mowing, trimming and leaf removal) and contracting separately for additional work, such as irrigation system maintenance, seasonal color planting, fertilizer, bark mulch application and tree removal.  This decision will be made in early 2010.

The Landscape Committee needs additional volunteers to help with these activities.  Please contact Eric Nelson for more information.

6.      Presented the Pond Committee report.

Mike Powers presented the report for the newly formed Pond Committee.  The Pond Committee was formed to evaluate options and make recommendations for dealing with the poor condition of landscaping surrounding the community’s water retention ponds.  It was Burnstead’s excavation work in and around the ponds in 2007-2008 that created the current set of landscape problems and damage to the irrigation system.

7.      Reviewed the Policies for Management of Timberline Ridge. 

Greg Graceffo reviewed the list of key reminders and most common issues regarding homeowner maintenance in the neighborhood.  The list was provided as a handout during the meeting and is included again at the conclusion of these minutes. 

During the past year, the Board conducted a walkthrough of the neighborhood to assess adherence to these standards.  In 2010, the Board will repeat this walkthrough process and take the additional step of sending notices to homeowners where appropriate.

8.      Elected one officer for the Board of Directors. 

Mike Powers was elected to the Board to serve a 3 year term to replace Ron Zanco.  We welcome Mike to the Board.

The Board and the Association thank Ron for his 3 years of excellent service to the neighborhood as Treasurer.  Thankfully, Ron has indicated that he will stay involved with the management of Timberline Ridge as a volunteer on the Landscape Committee.

9.      Discussed New Business.

·         North Playground Drainage.  Tim Jors raised the issue of ground water accumulation in the north park during heavy rains.  It was agreed that Tim would research the cost of installing adequate drainage.

UPDATE: Since the annual meeting, Tim not only completed his research but also took it upon himself to dig and install the required drainage himself at a total cost of $40.  We thank Tim for investing the time and the effort to help the community!

·         Neighborhood Monument Holiday Lights.  Greg Gilbert proposed that we decorate all of the neighborhood monuments this season.  It was decided that Greg and Teri Gilbert would research the costs and make a proposal to the Board.

UPDATE: After obtaining approval for the expenses, Teri and Greg Gilbert not only solicited volunteers, but managed the entire decoration and post-holiday storage process.  Special thanks to them as well as others who served as decorating volunteers, including Craig Hally, Ted Leland, Michael Patten, Eric Nelson, Sandy and Dean Weinmeister, the Derheims and the Alcorns!

·         Irrigation System Expansion.  The issue of irrigation system expansion and maintenance was discussed, as well as the potential need for an expanded irrigation reserve.  It was agreed that these issues would be explored by the Board in the coming year after the on-boarding of our new Treasurer and a final decision on our landscaping contractor.

·         TR Trails Reforestation.  Tim Jors raised the need to plant additional trees along and within the TR trails, in order to compensate for the number of trees lost in recent years to wind, etc.  It was agreed that Tim would research the issue and report back to the Board.

·         Emergency Preparedness Committee.  Ned McGarry volunteered to lead a newly-formed TR Emergency Preparedness Committee.  Please contact Ned if:

1.   You would like information or assistance on making your household better able to react to a disaster or emergency, ranging from a common medical event to a major earthquake.

2.   You feel you are reasonably prepared for an emergency, but you would like to be kept in the loop regarding preparedness efforts among households close to you.  Ned will facilitate this communication.

3.   You are interested in being an Emergency Preparedness group leader for a group of 15-20 households in the community.  Ned is looking for 10-15 such individuals to play a key role in facilitating preparedness efforts within their group.

Interested families and individuals should contact Ned with their contact details and information on how they would like to get involved or learn more. 

Ned is available at ned.mcgarry@verizon.net and 425-836-9998.  Thank you Ned for taking on this important initiative.

HOA Board of Directors Contact Information

Michael Patten

President

 

Mike Powers

Treasurer; Pond Committee

 

Greg Graceffo

Vice President / Secretary

Eric Nelson

Landscape Committee

 

Craig Hally

Architectural Control Committee


Timberline Ridge Homeowners Association

January 2010

The following is a list of key reminders and most common issues regarding homeowner maintenance in the neighborhood.  It is provided as a quick reference to the standards outlined in the neighborhood CC&Rs. 

A link to the full Timberline Ridge By-laws and Declaration Documents is available here: http://timberlineridge.org/page/Timberline-by-laws-and-declaration-documents.aspx

The Owner shall maintain exteriors in a neat, clean and sightly condition at all times (Article X Maintenance of Lots):

  • Grass should be mowed at least twice monthly during the growing season and should not exceed 6 inches in length (Article X Maintenance of Lots Section 1).
  • Flower and shrub beds are to be reasonably free from an overgrowth of weeds (Article X Maintenance of Lots Section 1).
  • Garbage cans are to be stored out of sight from the street view of your home (Article III Residential Area Covenants Section 9).
  • Exterior house paint is to be kept in good condition, and homes repainted when required.  A paint chip is required for the ACC to approve (Article IV Architectural Control Committee).
  • Exterior home trim is to be kept in good condition and repainted when required.  A paint chip is required for the ACC to approve (Article IV Architectural Control Committee).
  • Christmas and holiday lights placed on homes are encouraged but must be removed (including gutter clips) no later than February 1st.  Exceptions may be granted for other holidays such as Chinese New Year.

 Land use:

  • Campers, trailers and recreational vehicles are not to be stored on an owner’s property or the street itself (Article III Residential Area Covenants Section 12).
  • No one may occupy or live in a camper, trailer, or recreation vehicle as a “temporary residence” at any time for a period beyond fourteen (14) days (Article III Residential Area Covenants Section 5).
  • Sidewalks and streets are to be kept clear at all times except on the day of trash pickup.  This includes all forms of personal and athletic equipment.

 New Structures and Improvements:

  • No building, fence, wall recreation facilities, or other accessory structures (e.g. sheds & decks) shall be commenced, erected, or maintained upon the Properties, nor shall any exterior addition or change or alteration be made until the plans have been approved in writing by the Architectural Control Committee.  Cease work until you obtain approval. (Article IV Architectural Control Committee).

TRHOA_Final_Dec%202009_Actual_vs_Budget.pdf (26.01 kb)

Tags:

2009 Annual Meeting Notice

by Mickpat 5. October 2009 13:32

Our 2009 annual meeting will be held on November 17, 2009 @ 7:00 PM at Blackwell.  Proxy forms will be mailed within the next two weeks.  Interested in running for the board or have an issue you would like to raise at the annual meeting?  Email any of the board members. 

Tags:

Summer 2009 Newsletter

by Mickpat 22. September 2009 10:02

Tags:

Powered by BlogEngine.NET 1.4.0.0
Theme by Mads Kristensen